Amazon Sales Tax:
Amazon has started charging sales tax for Amazon purchases made in the state of Iowa. If you make a purchase from Amazon you will be charged sales tax. Procurement Services, in conjunction with OBO-Accounts Payable, is in the process of creating an Amazon Business Account that will be tax exempt and required for all UNI purchases. The Amazon Business Account is set to launch in the next few weeks and procurement cardholders should expect to receive instructional emails, from Amazon, with registration information and ordering instructions. The use of the Amazon Business Account is to facilitate purchases that are not covered by a UNI contract.
Dell Member Purchase Program (For UNI Employees):
University employees, students, associates and alumni have access to purchase Dell computers and accessories, for personal use, through Dell's MPP "Member Purchase Program." Shop online at www.dell.com/uni and reference UNI Member ID: US126350195. Benefits include discounts on thousands of electronics and accessories, and a best price guarantee on consumer PCs from Dell.
Office Depot Employee Purchase Program: is available for personal purchases. Please call Jon Westhoff if you have questions regarding this program.
The Office Depot Employee Purchase Program is available for personal purchases. Please call Jon Westhoff if you have questions regarding this program.
Wyndham Hotel Group Member Benefits:
Associates of the University of Northern Iowa may take advantage of the Wyndham Hotel Group Member Benefit Program. The program is for both business and leisure travel and is available to UNI employees, associates, contractors, students, retirees and alumnus.
- Discount Account ID Number: 1000007780
- Affiliate ID Number: 004645
- Toll Free Number: 800-525-5501
- Booking URL
The discount can be obtained by calling the toll free number above or accessing the online booking tool via the URL above.
Rental Car Agreements:
Tier Procurement Wrap Up:
The following seven collaborative bids with University of Iowa and Iowa State University, initiated as part of TIER, are now complete:
- Office Supplies - Office Depot
- Prime Food Vendor - Martin Brothers
- Computer Hardware - Dell
- Computer Peripherals - CDW-G
- Scientific Supplies - Fisher (primary), VWR (secondary)
- Janitorial Supplies - Supply Works
- MRO - Grainger (Overall), PSC Dist. (Plumbing), Crescent (Electrical), & Tri- Dim (Filters)
Why should you purchase from UNI negotiated contracts:
Procurement Services staff are frequently asked for an exception to purchase contracted items from a non-contract provider under the presumption they are cheaper. Let's take a closer look at what contributes to the total cost of these "cheaper items." Procurement Services considers the total cost to the University, rather than strictly, the price paid. The total cost of a purchase includes, but is not limited to:
- Time it takes purchaser to shop around and compare prices. Usually any savings a department receives is offset by the time it takes the purchaser to shop around.
Risk of accident if driving to procure non contracted items.
- Extra processing time for Accounts Payable to handle increased suppliers and verify purchase.
- Loss of efficiency for Campus Supply.
- Increased deliveries to campus create a safety issue and are less sustainably responsible.
- Potential loss of rebates & incentives with key suppliers. Environmental effects due to non-efficient packaging and shipping.
- Loss of bargaining power.
- Service issues including warranty, quality imperfections, issues and credits.
Procurement Services has worked with both CDW and Office Depot to make Ergotron desks available through each company's iProcurement Store. Each vendor can provide different models with various capabilities; determination of a product can be made at the department level, and both vendors are acceptable. Departments purchasing larger quantities are encouraged to contact Jon Westhoff as we may be able to obtain additional discounts, based on volume, with either vendor.
Should be directed to the assigned buyer or a member of our Procurement Services Team for assistance. Please contact James Tanzosch, Manager of Procurement Services, with questions regarding this newsletter or to offer topics for upcoming issues.